Blackberry and Apple Cupcakes
230g unsalted butter
220g golden caster sugar
225g self raising flour
4 large free range eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 – 2 tablespoons milk
2 large apples
3 tablespoons water
20g golden caster sugar
275g fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons water
20g caster sugar
Cream cheese Icing
250g soft cream cheese
400g icing sugar
You will need a 12 hole muffin tin and line with 12 cupcake cases and a large piping bag with nozzle.
Top tip: Make sure the baking ingredients are at room temperature and try not over mix the mixture once the eggs and flour are added.
1. preheat oven to 170-180, gas mark 4 (fan assist 150-170)
2. peel the apples and then chop into small cubes then gently cook with the sugar and water in a small covered pan, until slightly soften. Strain apple and put to one side to cool.
3. In the same pan put the fresh blackberries, sugar and water and cook until it looks like the consistency of a thin jam- about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool in the fridge.
4. in mixer cream butter with sugar and vanilla extract, beat until light and fluffy.
5. gently mix in the beaten egg and fold sifted flour with a wooden spoon.
6. fold the cooled apple pieces into the cake batter and add a tablespoon or two of milk if required to form a dropping consistency. Don’t make it too thin as the apples won’t hold in the batter.
7. Spoon mixture into the 12 cupcake cases & fill until three quarters full.
8. cook for 20 minutes or until golden. Test with skewer (it should come out clean). Remove tray from oven and leave for a few minutes. Place cupcakes onto wire tray to cool completely.
9. cut out a teaspoon sized piece from the cupcake. Add a teaspoon of the blackberry jam to the centre.
10. To make the cream cheese frosting mix all the ingredients together and place into a piping bag. Pipe onto the cupcakes and top with a fresh blackberry. These are best enjoyed straight away but can be eaten up to 2 days after but remove the blackberry on top.